Excursions

Excursions
Mini taxi-boats, which keep the tradition of transporting visitors to the close-by beaches the way this used to be done in the old times, leave from the small port of Lučica. The contemporary form of the same type of services can be enjoyed in the form of excursion boats which take tourists on a very interesting trip to visit the attractions of the underwater world (half-day trips in glass-bottom boats – glass boat), and there are several boats which take visitors on whole-day trips to the near-by islands of Sveti Grgur, Goli otok, the town of Baška on the island of Krk, the islet of Košljun, the Zavratnica cove (a cove whose shape reminds of a fjord), as well as the more and more attractive fishing activities.

The vicinity of the Plitvice Lakes, located only 120 km from Lopar, makes them a true attraction for tourists. The Plitvice Lakes is the biggest and oldest Croatian national park (it has been protected since 8 April 1949), inscribed in the UNESCO World Natural Heritage List in 1979.

Without any doubt, the most attractive excursion is the one to Goli otok (Naked Island) with its notorious former prison, among tourists also known as “Croatian Alcatraz”. Numerous buildings, prison cells and workshops have witnessed cruel destiny of convicts on island’s stone surface. Tourist facilities on the island: a small catering service for refreshment after the tour, small train for easier passing of island’s paths, and a souvenir shop.

You would like to see our beaches and underwater life, but you hate to get wet or you want to keep your hair dry? No problem! Boat excursion with our Glass catamaran Grga or with Moby Dick diving centar will enable you to look at the most beautiful beaches of island Rab and at the same time to enjoy in the seabed view, through the glass floor. That is if you can look two ways at the same time. Take the round trip around Lopar peninsula and enjoy the views! Three times per week you can take the excursion to Baška, island Krk.

Goli otok
Goli otok (Naked Island) or as it is known “The Croatian Alcatraz” is one of the best known and most infamous prisons in Europe following the Second World War, which opened in 1948 and closing in 1988.

Even though during the First World War, Russian prisoners were incarcerated on the island, the most tragic history of the island occurred during the period of “Informbiro” between 1949 and 1958, when political prisoners, the opponents of the then Tito communist regime and followers of the Stalinist regime were imprisoned and tortured. According to statistics, some 16,000 prisoners experienced the Goli otok hell (of which approximately 400 lost their lives due to exhaustion and disease), while at times there were over 3,500 prisoners residing in the prison at any one time.

At the Goli otok, extreme punishment was applied aimed at making the prisoner lose his personality. At the same time, prisoners were forced to undertake hard labor in rock quarries, various factories…

Prior to the arrival of the first prisoners (09/07/1949), the island was completely bare, whereas the prisoners themselves forested and built the island. Strong winds in the winter months, and intolerable heat during the summer months, only added to their already difficult destiny.

In 1950 Camp R-5 was constructed in the Senjska cove where women carried out their sentences – political prisoners, while from 1958 Goli otok begins to receive other categories of prisoners (criminals…), once the regime had become somewhat more tolerable.

Escaping from the Goli otok was almost impossible (strict supervision, strong sea currents, distance from the mainland…), and all this occurred under the veil of the greatest secrecy, so that the truth only now began to see the light of day.

In 1989, administration of the Goli otok was undertaken by the then Municipality of Rab, HTP Imperial and GP Jedinstvo, with the island reorganized as a tourist destination, while in 1992 the island was closed due to the war resulting in years of devastation and abandonment.

Administration building
This building was built during the period of the Informbiro (1950) and was made from rock block carved by the prisoners themselves. It was the nicest and most decorated building on the island, and was called by the prisoners the “hotel”. The building accommodated prison management, officers and administration. Right next to it was located a barber and shop for prison management.
Visiting building
This was the first building was constructed on the island (1949) which the prisoners called “Rock”. Prior to construction of the “Hotel” (new administration building) the first prison administration was located here. Following the transfer of administration, the building accommodated police officers.

In 1956 with the end of the Informbiro, the building was used for prison visits. Each prisoner who showed exemplary behavior was given the right to one visit per month and only by members of the closest family. Visits lasted between 2 hours and 2 days, depending on the prisoner’s behavior (completion of work tasks, obedience…).

Bowling alley – cinema
This building was constructed in 1951 and due to bowling alley which was intended exclusively for guards was called the “Bowling Alley”. Besides bowling, the bowling alley accommodated various celebrations, functions and events. Later on, the building was used for showing political documentary films for guards and prisoners.
Factories
Built during the period of the Informbiro and later coming into function. All prisoners maintained working hours amounting to 8 hours carried out in one of the 3 factories (depending on their (psychological profile). Overtime work or work exceeding norms was even awarded or paid.

The wood factory: the factory produced wooden furniture for export (America and Mexico). The prisoners on the island were trained for certain jobs, and manufactured high quality furniture (tables and chairs).

Metal factory: here various metal products were manufactured as a preparation for the metal industry (tractor chasses, flanges for pipes, parts for the ship industry…).

Rock factory: here high quality teraco tiles were manufactured, concrete blocks for walls… The rock was sourced from the various island rock quarries, was cut and processed for various needs.

During the period of the Informbiro, there existed a ship yard were during a number of years 3 wooden boats with a capacity of 110 tones (1st May, 13th May, 25th May) were built, and later served as a ship repair yard.
Admission – discharge section (quarantine)
This was built during the period of the Informbiro (1951). All prisoners were required to be in this building for a month upon arriving in order to become familiar with the regulations and rules of conduct, and somewhat less upon discharge. Here they received their identification numbers, discarded their civilian and were commissioned with prison clothes and shoes. During check ups, the persons psychological profile was assessed and the prisoner was accordingly assigned to a working position. Beside the quarantine was located a hospital for prisoners and officials, where operations were carried out. In front of the building was located the so-called Peter’s hole in which prisoners where tortured.
Section 102 (prison within the prison)
It was built for the purpose of increasing supervision of problematic prisoners who in any way whatsoever breached regulations. While prisoners on the island maintained at least some freedom of movement, in Section 102 movement was limited to an hour’s walk during the day within a 50m2 area. The ground floor contained isolation cells while the first floor was marked for 50 prisoners. Behind Section 102 was located a hospital and school (built after 1958) where prisoners where schooled for various trades.
Reporting quarters
Built during the period of Informbiro (1950), the quarters on the first floor housed guards while the ground floor contained isolation cells. Later on, the location housed identification records, logistics for ensuring food, drinks and other requirements, while in newer times accommodating pedagogues where prisoners were called for talks. Each prisoner group had its own pedagogue who monitored their work and behavior and assisted in resolving their problems.
Wire
The complex building was fenced with wiring from which it received it name. The Žica housed barracks used for sleeping (pavilions), canteens, bakeries, boiler room, laundry and food warehouse. Around the wiring were located guard posts equipped with reflectors, and the prisoners were under continual strict supervision. At the beginning of the 1970s, sleeping quarters were arranged on the canteen floor for approximately 300 prisoners of the rock factory (section 1), and the metal and wood factory building was built (section 2 and 3) for approximately 400 to 500 prisoners. With the construction of these sections, the previous pavilions were abandoned, and in the early 1980s completely demolished. Behind sections 2 and 3 was located one of the most modern cinemas in the country, built in the 1950s and showing films, allowing theatre shows, etc.
One of the most important buildings within the wire was the so-called CENTAR built in 1949 which ran a catalogue of prisoners, censured post, monitored prisoner numbers and all other necessary evidence. The building accommodated the security supervisor for the whole complex. Later on, sporting venues were built for prisoners.
Sveti Grgur – st. George island
The Sveti Grgur (St George’s) island is located between the islands of Lopar, Krk, Prvić and Goli otok, and is the second greenest island in the Adriatic. Its lush green vegetation is the reason why the people of Lopar have been using that island for sheep grazing.
Even today you can see the remains of the women’s penitentiary camp and some 50 bunkers in the karst landscape. The island is especially favourable for the development of hunting tourism.

Its beautiful coves, beaches, forests and the intact nature attract numerous seamen and visitors.

There is a newly-built catering establishment on the island of Sveti Grgur, and fallow deer which eat from people’s hands have become its famous attraction.

Featured

Paradise samba festival - Lopar
Our Paradise Beach has a compelling resemblance to famous Brazilian Copacabana, so what better place to choose for the home of a Festival of Samba?
Festival of sand sculptures
Every June the Paradise Beach, becomes an open-air atelier for young artists who are building original sand sculptures during our Festival of Sand Sculptures
MTB 4 Islands
MITAS 4 islands is a thrilling mountain bike race over 4 islands of Kvarner Bay. A race where islands are stages, goat paths are trails and the sea plays hide and seek!

AEROBIC acitivities on beach

PARADISE BEACH ČRNIKA - Monday - Saturday 10am

LIVAČINA BEACH- Monday - Wednesday - Friday from 5pm

GORNJI MEL BEACH - Thuesday and Thursday from 5pm

Sand sculpture festival 2021

Sand sculpture Festival Lopar 2021 will be held from June 29 to July 02 at the Paradise Beach!

Edukativna šetnja poučnom stazom Capo Fronte

Uz organizirano vodstvo, bit ćete upoznati s arheološki značajnim lokalitetima koje skrivaju mediteranski pejzaži Dundova i Kalifronta. U uvali sv. Mare bit će napravljena duža pauza uz mogućnost kupanja u moru.

Geopark Lopar

The Lopar Geomorphologic Garden, part of the Rab Island Geopark, with a total of 50 marked geological points, is rich in geologically interesting features and rare flora

Rab island Trail

Rab Island Trail is one of the most popular racetracks in the Croatian Trekking League, which has been held since 2007. Participants participate in 3 categories for men and 3 for women.

Birth of Little Mary

The celebration begins early in the morning (September 8), when pilgrims accompanied by numerous tourists gather around the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and services are held at 10:00, 15:00 and 17:00.

Mesopust in Lopar

(The Masquerades of Lopar) are the pride of the village since their tradition is over 150 years old. Lopar is the only village in the island of Rab that has preserved and nurtured the carnival tradition, with authentic masquerade and rituals.

Sand Sculpture Festival

Paradise Beach is becoming a surreal world of breathtaking sand sculptures! Participate in our sand sculpture festival and enjoy the art of making sand sculptures!

Rab Archaeological Traces

The project Rab Archaeological (T)races was developed on the idea of an open-air museum, presenting about 30 archaeological sites in the area of the island of Rab.

Activities

For all those who want to spend their sunny vacation actively, indulge in the adventurous and sporting spirit and relax on the island of Rab.
We offer a number of modern sports fields, including tennis courts and an indoor soccer field with artificial grass.

Lopar offers daily half-day boat trips with a glass bottom in the waters of Lopar and Goli Otok and Grgur.

Special features of Lopar

Sand paradise

Rich culture and history

An oasis of natural beauty

LOPAR otok Rab